How to Apply
Doctoral Degree Program
To be eligible for admission to the regular Doctoral degree program, an applicant must:
- have strong academic records (both undergraduate and graduate) and normally hold a four-year bachelor's degree, and a Master's degree, preferably with a combination of course and thesis work, from an institution of good standing, acceptable to AIT. The minimum GPA requirement for admission to the doctoral program is 3.50 or equivalent at the master's degree level.
- submit a brief outline of dissertation research proposal including the required research facilities, if necessary.
- receive a written confirmation that a faculty member at AIT is available and willing to supervise.
For the professional Doctoral degree program, in addition to the above-mentioned eligibility requirements, an applicant must:
- have at least 5 years of work experience in areas related to the field of study/program at AIT and
- be at a level of senior professional/manager/administrator in organization/companies.
Certificate of Advanced Studies ProgramThe Certificate of Advanced Studies (CAS) Program offered by AIT has the alternative objectives of qualifying for admission to the doctoral program for applicants with minimum CGPA at the master's degree level of less than 3.50 or equivalent; or undertaking advanced studies combined with research. Other admission requirements are similar to those for the Doctoral Degree Program. Full-time CAS students completing the minimum course credit requirement and attaining a CGPA of at least 3.50 at the end of the second semester are eligible for transfer to the doctoral degree program. Students who are not eligible for transfer to the doctoral degree program are awarded with the Certificate of Advanced Studies. For applicants to the professional Doctoral degree program, initially admitted to the CAS Program, the same eligibility requirements for admission as mentioned in the Doctoral degree program apply.
Master's Degree Program
To be eligible for admission to the regular master's program, an applicant must:
- hold a Bachelor degree (normally from a four-year program), or its equivalent, in an appropriate field of study from an institution of good standing acceptable to AIT.
- have undergraduate grades significantly above average; the minimum GPA requirement for admission to the master's program is 2.75 or equivalent at the Bachelor degree level.
- be in satisfactory physical and mental health, and have a record of good conduct.
For the professional Master's degree program, in addition to the above-mentioned eligibility requirements, an applicant must:
- have at least 3 years of work experience in areas related to the field of study/program at AIT and
- be executives in organizations/companies.
The eligibility requirements for the Diploma program are the same as those entering the master's degree program. Candidates with only average undergraduate grades may be admitted to the Diploma Program if they have at least two years of professional experience after completing their Bachelor's degree.
Certificate students need to satisfy the eligibility requirements similar to those entering the master's degree program and have the appropriate background to take selected courses. In exceptional cases, candidates who lack formal academic qualifications but who have extensive and appropriate professional experience may be considered for admission; the discretion in such cases rests with the School Deans.
You can download application forms for admission from this page. To view pdf files, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. You can download Acrobat Reader from Adobe. You can print the Postscript files directly to a postscript printer.
|Applicants Responsibilities||(PDF) (Postscript File)|
|AIT Admission Action Form||(PDF) (Postscript File)|
|Acknowledgement Card A||(PDF) (Postscript File)|
|Acknowledgement Card B||(PDF) (Postscript File)|
|Form 1: Application for Admission||(PDF) (n/a)|
|Form 2: Letter of Recommendation||(PDF) (Postscript File)|
|Form 3: Application for AIT Financial Aid||(PDF) (Postscript File)|
|Form 4: Transcript Request||(PDF) (Postscript File)|
|Application Processing Fee Payment Notification Form||(PDF) (Postscript File)|
Print files on A4 size paper. Please DO NOT make any changes. Any changes in the content or format of the forms may result in rejection of the application submitted using that form.
Completing and Submitting the Forms
Please submit all necessary documents together with the completed form to the Admissions and Scholarships Unit at the following address.
Admissions and Scholarships Unit Asian Institute of Technology P.O. Box 4, Klong Luang Pathumthani 12120 THAILAND
Admissions and Scholarships Unit 58 Moo 9, Km. 42, Paholyothin Highway Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120 THAILAND
Application requirements and Procedures
Applicants may apply online or download the application forms from the AIT website.
- To apply for admission, applicants must complete and submit the following documents:
- Acknowledgment cards A & B
- Admission Action Form
- A completed AIT Application for Admission (Form 1)
- Two letters of recommendation from named referees (Form 2)
- Application for AIT Financial Aid (Form 3) only if applying for AIT financial aid
- Official attested Transcript(s) (Form 4)
- Copy of degree Certificate(s) in English
- Evidence of Proficiency in English
- Research Proposal (for doctoral program applicants only)
- Application Processing Fee - US$20 or Baht 800 (Application Forms downloaded from the web) OR - US$25 or Baht 1,000 (Application Forms received by post from AIT)
- Application Processing Fee
- A nonrefundable application processing fee of US$20 (or Baht 800) for forms downloaded from the web or of US$25 (or Baht 1,000) for forms received by post, is required to process an application. The application fee may be paid by bank draft, valid credit card or cash and should be made payable to the "Asian Institute of Technology". Please fill in the Application Processing Fee Payment Notification Form to prove payment. Payment by credit card should be done by showing the payer's full name, credit card name and number, and card's expiry date. Payment by cash should be made through a third party based in Thailand . For Frequently-Asked-Questions on application, please visit FAQ.
- Applications for admission must be received by the normal closing date. If study seats are still available, late applications may be considered.
- Applicants are requested to apply to the School of their choice and indicate, in order of preference, two fields of study. Each application will be processed according to the first field of study chosen. AIT, subject to its resources and the applicant's qualifications, will endeavor to provide a program of study appropriate with the applicant’s needs and qualifications.
- The Admissions and Scholarships Unit acknowledges all complete application by email. If an email address is not provided, applicants are acknowledged by mail through post.
AIT offers financial aid for the Master's and Doctoral degree programs, on a competitive basis, to applicants who are outstandingly qualified and to applicants who have strong academic backgrounds and proven financial need. The AIT financial aid is only applicable for students accepted for admission to the Asian Institute of Technology.About 60% of students admitted to AIT receive full financial aid and about 80% of students admitted receive sufficient financial aid to cover at least half of the cost of their studies. The aid is intended to meet some of the basic expenses and to help defray but not to fully cover the study costs at AIT. It is expected that students supplement this aid from their own or non-AIT resources. The financial support does not normally include air travel grants.
Applicants requiring financial aid must fill out the Application for AIT Financial Aid form (Form 3), provide details on their employment, their personal and family incomes, and also submit a one-page essay on their reasons for seeking support. It is also useful that students explain how they can contribute to the development of their home country and the region after completing their studies at AIT.
- AIT Scholarships are provided by Institute partners: governments, international funding agencies, foundations and corporate/private organizations. These are allocated according to partners’ specific conditions. The scholarships may cover tuition and fees, a monthly bursary towards the cost of books, food and miscellaneous expenses as well as standard accommodation rent on campus. Other forms of scholarships not awarded by AIT but administered by the Institute are normally provided in the same way. Since students are made aware of the condition of the grant, once accepted, the terms of the scholarships are not open to further negotiation.
- Students on AIT scholarships must be in full-time attendance for the period of their award, except during approved leave(s). Financial aid is terminated if the student is dismissed or for other reasons upon the recommendation of a Disciplinary Committee and the approval of the School Dean or the President.
- Awards are made for a stated number of semesters of study, normally four for the Master's and six for the Doctoral degree program. If for any reason the course of study is extended beyond the period of time specified in the award, the recipient is responsible for meeting all costs associated with the extension. Under certain circumstances, an exemption may be granted for tuition fee but not for registration and other associated fees. The student must initiate a request for exemption in writing through his/her Advisor or through the Chairperson of the Program Committee and the Field of Study Coordinator. The approval of the School Dean is required before an exemption is granted.
- A scholarship student who, of his/her own accord and without AIT's approval, leaves the Institute before completing his/her program of study is liable to repay all or part of the scholarship award.
- The AIT scholarship is disbursed and administered by the Institute and any unspent funds due to dismissal or resignation are either returned to the partner/donor or reallocated at a later date upon the recommendation and approval of the partner/donor.
1. Bursary Grants
- Students on scholarship with bursary must open an account with the bank on campus as the bursary is directly deposited into the student's bank account.
- The bursary is a partial contribution for books, food, and living expenses such as accommodation and utilities. Students normally find it necessary to supplement the bursary from their own funds.
- The length of a scholarship awards varies and the bursary may be awarded for the normal study period - 4 semesters for the Master's degree program or 6 semesters for the Doctoral degree program. In some cases, the scholarship covers only a part of the study period.
- If a student voluntarily discontinues attendance, the bursary is stopped three days after the cessation of full-time attendance or, in the semester break, three days after the date of departure from AIT.
- If dismissed, a student is given a grace period ten days after dismissal before the bursary is stopped.
- Students required to travel outside Thailand to conduct research or on exchange program may advance their bursary equivalent to the period of research or off-campus assignment but not exceeding one semester.
2. Travel Grants
- The financial support does not normally include air travel grants unless specifically stipulated in donor conditions. However, students receiving travel grants are entitled to air travel only to the international airport nearest to their home (economy class). The travel grants cannot be used for any purpose other than travel to the students’ home country.
- Eligibility for return air travel ceases 30 days after completion of the program of study. Travel grants include air tickets; they are not convertible to cash.
- Arrangements for home air travel are made through the Scholarships Unit.
3. Research Grants
- If awarded, research grants are provided to support student thesis/research study. The use of research grants must conform to relevant Policy and Procedures and donor conditions.
4. Medical Insurance
- If awarded, the Medical Insurance refers to the standard plan which covers certain costs of hospitalization, outpatient treatment, dental as well as life plus personal accident but not major medical expenses.
To view the Institute current Scholarship please click hereFellowships
Fellowships at the Master's and Doctoral degree programs are awarded based on need or merit. Tenable only for study at AIT, fellowships waive tuition fees for a fixed number of credits.
Fellowships granted upon merit are given on the basis of cumulative GPA and class rank in previous degree(s). Students who receive fellowships upon need are evaluated based on salary statements prior to study and the income statements of spouse and parents.
Under the scheme, students pay tuition fees for credits in earlier semesters while AIT waives the tuition fees for credits covered in the fellowships in later semesters.
- Candidates selected for fellowships are:
- given assurance of financial support before enrolment and
- provided with opportunities for part-time employment as Student Assistants/Associates. The assistantship program is directed towards needy to help finance their living expenses while at AIT. Students are eligible for employment only after the successful completion of their first semester of studies .
- Students with fellowships have to shoulder registration and associated fees as well as living costs.
- The fellowship is non-transferable.
However, students provided with Royal Thai Government (RTG) Fellowships receive waivers for both tuition and registration fees for certain semesters at AIT. RTG Fellowships are given to qualified applicants from Thailand and Greater Mekong Sub region countries.
Application Processing Fee
- US$20 or Baht 800 (if submitting online application / forms downloaded from the web / reapplication);
- US$25 or Baht 1,000 (if application forms are received by post from AIT)
The application fee may be paid by bank draft, valid credit card or cash and should be made payable to the “Asian Institute of Technology”.Please fill in the Application Processing Fee Payment Notification Form to prove payment.
Download Payment Notification Form
Payment by credit card should be done by showing the payer’s full name, credit card name and number, and card’s expiry date.